welcome to their world apps

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Asd and Me: Learning About High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder

This is not an app but is a book that you can get for your ipad/ipod. The book is wonderful and my daughter just loved hearing about another child like herself. I would highly recomend this book for any child with high functioning autism or aspergers. It helps them understand they are not alone. :)
This page is dedicated to explaining autism and Aspergers to children. A couple of years ago, my then five year old son, Donnie, asked me when his younger sister would attend “PIE School,” the autism therapy center that he attended. This simple question got me thinking about how I would explain to him why he is different from other children. What would I tell him when we have our first talk abo...ut his autism? Even though my son has some trouble communicating, he still has lots of big thoughts and ideas. I searched for a children’s book that had a character with autism that my son could relate to and look up to. When I couldn’t find such a book, I was inspired to write ASD and Me. Written for kids diagnosed with Aspergers, PPD-NOS, or autism, parents will appreciate the way this heartwarming book will help them explain high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) to their child on the spectrum. ASD and Me is written from the point of view of Eli, a seven year-old boy that has high functioning autism spectrum disorder. Through the story, Eli explains how he was diagnosed and how ASD affects the way he thinks and interprets the world around him. He also talks about some of the social and life skills he has learned that help him fit in with others. The story concludes with some of the interests and activities that Eli shares with other children. A Letter to Parents section at the end of the book offers detailed information about the symptoms of high functioning ASD, which would be helpful in explaining the disorder to extended family and friends. We would love to hear your insights on parenting an ASD child or living with ASD. We would especially like to hear about the experience you have had either telling your child about their ASD diagnosis, or what is it was like to find out that you have ASD.See More
Page: ‎593 like this

No comments:

Post a Comment